What is libido?
Libido means desire for sex or sexual hunger. It is also called sexual drive, passion, sexiness, sensuality, sexuality, lust.
Why do I have low libido? Why do I always have no mood for sex?
Low libido may be due to a variety of reasons as discussed below:
- Psychological and psychiatric conditions like anxiety and depression reduce libido
- Excessive emotional and physical stresses also suppress your sexual appetite
- Marital disharmony, relationship and personal issues can reduce libido
- Chronic medical conditions including cancers, cancer treatments, and chronic pain are important causes of low libido particularly in older men
- Many medications like antidepressants and pills for high blood pressure can lower libido
- Excessive alcohol and drugs like marijuana can lower sexual desire
- Low testosterone level is another cause of low libido
To find out the cause of your low libido, it is important to see your local doctor. The doctor will take a detailed history, asks what medications you are taking, do some physical examinations and may order tests including test for testosterone. The doctor may not order any test if he/she finds out that your low libido is due to psychological, relationship or personal issues.
Is there any treatment for my low libido?
Treatment for low libido depends on the cause. If your low libido is due to psychological, relationship or personal issues, your doctor will refer you to a psychologist or sex therapist. You (and your partner) may be given counselling or sex therapy.
If medications are the cause of low libido, the medications need to be substituted or withdrawn. If your blood test show low testosterone level, the doctor may treat you with testosterone therapy.
Is there any role of lifestyle in increasing libido?
Yes, adopting a healthy lifestyle can increase your libido. Practise the following:
- Quit smoking if you are a smoker
- Lose weight and get physically fit
- Exercise regularly but not too much
- Quit drugs
- Reduce or quit alcohol if you are drinking excessively
And remember, you may not need any medication or therapy if you just follow simple things like: